Saturday 29 November 2008

Inversion

Yesterday...
The city was noisy, the crowds pressed together. I could smell the sweat on the person next to me, making me wish I had a more palatable way of getting around. I pushed my headphones in tighter, the music blocking out the sounds of the morning traffic. I walked fast, keen to reach my destination, not wanting to linger.

Today...
I breathe the morning air & look at the familiar faces around me. Someone brushes past in the crowd, hurting my shoulder, but I can only smile. The bright sun warms my toes and I wiggle them in pleasure and walk at leisure to my destination, the same as yesterday. The song in my ears gets over mid way. I switch my player off and put it in my bag. The horns blare aound me and the vehicles whiz past but they don't make me wince... not today. Today I can only smile at everything that I once frowned at.

2 comments:

making sense of life said...

and thank god that we are alive and free to smile in the sun once again. Amen.

Bright Butterfly said...

It's incredible how horrific experiences can really cause us to see with new eyes, hear with new ears, feel with a renewed heart. It's also amazing how at any moment we can choose to interpret the same reality in a whole new way. Thanks for sharing. -Casia

 

Browse